Supporters were not disappointed as Lambs’ comeback forces replay

September 3, 2017 News

On Saturday, the sun shone brightly over Langsford Park. The pitch, looking pristine as always, was ready for what was set to be a thrilling game.

Following successful wins at Shepton Mallet AFC (4-1) and then home to Shaftesbury (2-1), Tavistock AFC was ready to host Taunton Town FC in the First Qualifying Round of the 2017/18 Emirates FA Cup.

As the gates opened, it was clear that both teams were not going to be going it alone. More than 360 supporters turned up to watch the game that puts the teams just 11 games away from the end goal of a trip to Wembley.

The supporters were not disappointed. With goals in both halves, the game ended in a 2-2 draw, with both goals for Tavistock scored by Jack Crago.

“We said right from the off, we wanted this to be an event for everyone and that it was,” explains Stuart Henderson, Manager of Tavistock AFC. “There was a real buzz around the grounds and it was felt by all of us.

“This was what it was all about; we had the big crowd. It was about belief. In the first 10-15 minutes, Taunton played exactly how we thought; very direct, very physical. Once we grew into the game, got more confident and started to play our game, I felt we had the last 15-20 minutes of the first half and dominated the second half.”

The teams will find out on Monday who they might face in the Second Qualifying Round before they replay on Tuesday night (5th), at the Viridor Stadium, Taunton.

“We would like to say a massive thank you to the support shown to the players and the Club on Saturday,” added Stuart. “It was great to see so many faces around the stands, some familiar and some new. We hope you had a good day and will be returning to show support again soon.

“I’d also like to take this opportunity to say thank you to the Horrabridge Rangers’ under 12s team, who were with us throughout the day. The boys did themselves and their team proud.”

“It was a great day for the boys,” Paul Allen, Manager of the Rangers describes. “They arrived at Langsford to find new kit waiting for them in the changing room. Once changed they got to meet the whole team and manager and have a Q&A session with them, finding out what foods are best to eat before a game and players’ preferred training.

“The boys then provided a guard of honour, as the players walked onto the pitch, before taking up their positions as ball boys during the match. At half time they had the opportunity to go toe to toe with Tavistock’s keeper, Konstantin Andrejenko, in a rather competitive penalty shootout competition, which was won by Sam Perkins. The day was completed with a match on the pitch after the main game.

“On behalf of the Rangers, I’d like to say a very big thank you to Tavistock Football Club for making this all possible.”

read Derek’s Full match report here

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.